April 9, 2014

On the Road Again... (Oman 2011)



My last few posts have been more infomative, I thought I would make this one more simple. These are just some of the shots from driving around those days in Salalah and on the way to Dulkut.

#

I didn't get this shot. We were a few cars back. But I love how Claire captured the camel almost mirroring the camel crossing sign. It's probably one of my favorites of the trip. 


We stopped at this lookout and saw dolphins and sea turtles below.

*

I'm pretty sure this is overlooking Salalah and that the picture below is one of the Sultan's palaces, but that would need to be confirmed. The mosque was just one of many that we saw along our road trips. 5 times a day a Muslim man would sing the call to prayer. It was beautiful really and there was a bit of mysterious, foreign romance to it. Until we stayed across the street from one in Jerusalem and the song would come blaring through our windows at 5 am waking up our travel-weary babies. 


This was a guard tower that I quickly snatched a picture of. There's something a bit ominous about taking a road trip through barriers and giant mounted machine guns!

*

I was quite struck with how lifeless and depressing the landscape was (see some other shots below), other than right on the water. The ocean will always be breathtaking to me!  That shot above is one Felicity took. I think it's so beautiful!


We stopped at this blow hole which was fun and refreshing for some. :) I like this shot of Jaren walking with his Grandpa. My mom had a thing for taking and/or painting pictures of people's backs. She did a painting of my younger brother walking with my Grandpa that has always been one of my favorites!


I grew up in Utah by the Rocky mountains and so when I would read in the Book of Mormon how Lehi took his family from Jerusalem to journey in the wilderness I always pictured a dense forest full of trees and undergrowth. I never really stopped to think about it or how opposite the geography of that area offers until this trip. But that area is dry and hot and you can't help but sympathize a little with the "murmurings" that took place as they traveled through this with children and giving birth and trying to find food and water. What a trial that journey must have been for Lehi, Sariah and their family!


It also brought a greater appreciation and understanding of how happy they were to then reach the land of Bountiful that was green and full of fruit and honey. After traveling in such a dry barren wasteland I would have rejoiced as well! (More of the greeny-pretty shots in a next post).

*

Ah, my sweet boys. So good for being cooped up in carseat-less cars :{ for so long. I love both of their faces here and could kiss them forever!


I often find myself noticing people on the street and wondering what their life is like, what are their hopes and dreams and disappointments? Where are they going? Who do they love? I really am intrigued by this photo of these two women walking together down the street. I wish I could know the answers to those questions. 


Stopping for lunch.


Stopping for camels (I love the shot of Jaren and Warren).


Stopping for caves and a bit of impromptu rock climbing.

**



A frankincense tree- they cut the bark to let the resin seep out and harden into "tears." It can be used as medicine, as incense/perfume, as oils, in religious rituals...etc.


This was Wadi Sayq the riverbed that eventually opens up into the green valley of Karfot and where Lehi's family most likely followed. It was exciting to see. I could picture them with all their camels and supplies and family working their way through to see the beautiful beach and valley below.


# Photos by Claire
* Photos by Felicity

No comments: