February 7, 2013

Varian's Trip (April 2011)



I wasn't going to post about this considering this blog is for my memoirs and I didn't go on this trip, but as I've reported so much on my family, I decided to have a feature post for a trip Varian did with his sister Leah. They went to Carnarvon Gorge a few months before she and her husband Panu were moving to the states.



They left Brisbane about 2 or 3 in the morning if I recall and drove through the night. But right as they got ready to start their day of hiking Varian's shoes came apart. Lucky for them and for the trip's success, another hiker offered these plastic zip cords to help him tie up his shoes which then held together for the rest of the weekend.

 

The trip was mostly hiking around to see waterfalls, hieroglyphics and aboriginal paintings. Along the way they even saw a bit of the wildlife and lived to tell about it. In fact this most-likely-poisonous snake jumped (and yes they both adamantly claim it jumped) up in front of Leah. 



They had to cut their trip short as huge rainstorms came in and flooded the whole area. They woke up in the middle of the night and left right then to be safe, which was lucky, because otherwise they would have been cut off and trapped up there. But what a beautiful looking place. I'm hoping to have Varian take us up there soon (after snake season perhaps).



2 comments:

D1Warbler said...

For a minute, I thought this was from Oman as the first photo looked a bit like the first part of Mughsayl. Interesting place. Could do without the snakes, however!

D1Warbler said...

Just realized that Panu and Leah were involved in the snake episode. Do you see a pattern developing here, since they were the two that had the snake incidents in Oman as well?