December 7, 2011

Coochiemudlo


Coochiemudlo is an island. And I love it. I love it for it's crazy sounding aboriginal name. I love it for the ferry ride it takes to get over to that little hippy place. I love it for it's pretty beaches and kookaburras. It's a great place.

   

We took my parents there last year when they came to visit. Jaren loved Coochie for it's delicious sand - yes this was the first, but sadly not the last - taste of sand and it's just his cup of tea. He LOVES it and I mean LOVES it! For the next 6 months it was a challenge to get him to stop eating sand when we'd go to the beach. He's better now though will still try to sneak in a few fistfuls when we're not looking. 



Varian made Jaren this little pool and he was in heaven - both of them really. Varian's like a little boy himself at the beach and could dig around and splash for hours.

 

I loved watching Varian walk around with Jaren. When I was in high school I started a drawing of this little baby holding onto his dad's hands and walking between his legs. The little kid had this darling hat and the scene was so tender. I started it and it ended up being ginourmous - I mean really big. I was discouraged by the thought of framing such a big painting and am not sure why I never started over on a smaller scale, but when I saw this picture I instantly thought of that attempted drawing I had done so many years ago. Maybe I should do it again, but with my own child and husband as the subjects. 

    

Mom and Dad loved the island too, and even Jaren didn't mind the faucet bath he got at the end to try and get off all the sand - well all the sand that hadn't made it into his mouth.


You can tell by all our smiles that it was a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you are having so much fun!

Deamers said...

I think you should send a picture of that sign to Jay Leno, although we hate Jay Leno because of what he did to Conan. And now I'm sure you have no idea what I'm talking about, but anyway, send it to Jay Leno. I love the pics of Jaren in the little sand pool.