December 28, 2011

The Sea was Angry that Day

After a few hours sleep (see last post) we woke up to drive to where we were catching our boat ferry to Lady Musgrave Island - located in the Southern part of the Great Barrier Reef. Look at us up there all smiling and laughing as the boat ride just began. Pretty soon this is what I was looking like -

Oh my heavens I have never thrown up so much in my life! It was by far the worst boat ride of my life, and so incredibly miserable. I hope to never have to repeat that experience. Normally I'm a sucker for ferries, but unlike my Dramamine-taking family, I being pregnant, had only taken some ginger in the homeopathic hope that it would prevent sea sickness. I was wrong.

When the staff learned I was expecting they were concerned that I would be too sick sitting at the front of the boat. But by then the other seats were pretty crowded and so we stayed where we were. Once we hit the open sea however the boat (quite a big one by the way) was flying up and smashing down on the water, jarring your bones and making you feel like you were on a really wild roller coaster. Water was spraying in on us through the open door and soon I understood why the cabin crew was so worried about where we were sitting. They too decided the water was just too rough and they asked people in the back to move so we could sit back there. They told me that someone would hold my arms and that I was to hold on to the back of every seat as I walked to the back of the boat. I joke that being pregnant I'm fragile - but not that fragile - I thought I could walk down the aisle to the back of the boat without being supported. I was wrong.

As soon as I started walking we cleared another swell and flew through the air and I lost my balance and on my way to the floor I let out a giant man-scream (yes those of you who have ever sat next to me in a horror movie will know the one I'm talking about) and being at the front of the boat all eyes were on me. I started laughing and then happily accepted the help of the all-knowing staff who then held my arms and guided me where to hold on as I made slow baby steps through the rocking boat.

But once at the back of the boat I then had no sea breeze coming in and I had ample view of all of the other passengers who along with me became very sea sick. People started throwing up all around us and I tried to hold out but couldn't and soon all that disgusting ginger was making its way back up. For some reason I then burst into tears. The main crewman that was helping me came to check on me and I laughed through my tears saying I was fine I was just pregnant and so overly emotional and sick. He laughed and said I should cry all I wanted and to not be embarrassed. I then hoped that having thrown up and had a little crying burst I would feel better. I was wrong.

I have never had the horror-pregnancies that you hear about standing in the grocery market lines or at ward functions. I don't get morning sickness, I never throw up. In fact besides throwing up in highschool after having my tonsils out, I think the last time would have been in Jr. High or Elementary school. However on this lovely occasion the 2 1/2 hour boat ride the cabin crew was kept very busy collecting all the barf bags from me and the other passengers around me. But apparently I and some poor sucker on the top deck came in first place for filling the most bags (6) so at least that's something. :) After awhile I would just start praying - please let that be the last time. I may never be able to eat crystallized ginger again and even the last time I had ginger snap cookies I had flashbacks and almost couldn't swallow them down. :(

So anyway enough of the spew. We got to this beautiful island and began snorkeling. It was amazing. I was a bit shaky from the ride and had to adjust to sticking my face in the water and breathing, but once I got going I really loved it. What a spectacular activity and to actually be there at the Great Barrier Reef was so amazing!!!

We snorkeled, we ate, we hiked around the island, we saw sea turtles (both on the glass bottom boat to the island and snorkeling around) was an amazing day despite the rocky start. I'm so glad we went. It was a great adventure. I thought the boat ride home would not be as painful. I was right. :) It was more like a rocking lullaby boat and I even fell asleep at one point. What a dreat day!

No comments: